There are countless recreation options within an hour and a half of Highland Retreat, including attractions in West Virginia, along the Blue Ridge, and in the Shenandoah Valley. Check out each topic below for the names of nearby attractions (with links to their websites) and travel time estimates (from Google Maps).
- Luray Caverns- 50 minutes
- Endless Caverns- 38 minutes
- Grand Caverns- 1 hour 4 minutes
- Shenandoah Caverns- 37 minutes
- Visit Harrisonburg family fun for good ideas including the Harrisonburg children’s museum and Back home on the farm.
- Broadway Farmers Market- 25 minutes
- Dayton Farmers Market- 44 minutes
- Harrisonburg Farmers Market- 38 minutes
- Shenandoah Heritage Market- 42 minutes
- Local fishing: Mossy Creek.
- Virginia inland fishing.
- Heritage Oaks Golf Course- 41 minutes
- Shenvalee Golf Resort- 35 minutes
- Lakeview Golf Course- 45 minutes
- Valley Brethren Mennonite Heritage Center- 49 minutes
- New Market Battle field- 38 minutes
- Frontier Culture Museum- 1 hour
- Hidden Trails Stables- 17 minutes
State and National Parks
- Lost River State Park, WV- 17 minutes
- Trout Pond, WV- 34 minutes
- Shenandoah National Park, VA- 1 hour 3 minutes
- Seneca Rocks, WV- 1 hour 30 minutes
- Dolly Sodds Wilderness- 1 hour 32 minutes
- Bryce Ski Resort- 37 minutes
- Massanutten Ski Resort- 58 minutes