How can you get involved with Highland Retreat as a volunteer?
BRING A GROUP
JOIN A TEAM
SHARE A TRADE
SERVE SHORT OR LONG TERM
MINISTER TO KIDS AT SUMMER CAMP
Bring a group
For groups who serve at least 6 hours and stay overnight, lodging is greatly reduced and in some cases free.
Common work group assignments include:
- Spring cleaning of seasonal facilities
- Processing firewood for summer camp and guest use
- Participating in current site development projects
- Painting or staining associated with Highland decks, bridges, and buildings.
Groups, especially families, interested in helping in the spring may be interested in our annual Serve and Play event. Serve and Play is a special service-oriented weekend camp-out, designed to help Highland prepare for summer and offer families an enjoyable Mother’s Day weekend together.
Join a team
Share a trade
Most projects involving professionals take more resources and coordination than those associated with regular volunteer groups. Volunteer professionals are often eligible to receive a gift in kind letter for tax purposes.
Professionals who can serve at Highland include but are not limited to:
- Tradespersons: Carpenters, welders, electricians, roofers, plumbers, etc.
- Other professionals: Photographers, graphic designers, interior designers, etc.
- Nurses: See ‘Minister to kids at summer camp’.
We invite you to contact Highland and let us know how and when you may be available to serve.
Serve short or long term
While some volunteers may choose to commute, others are welcome to free camping or lodging if available.
Though this is not a complete list, short and long term volunteers can be involved in:
- Meeting a seasonal role at the Highland main office
- Assisting with maintenance and grounds
- Assisting with a special project or enhancement
- Serving on the Highland Board of Directors.
- Filling roles within the summer camp program (see ‘Minister to kids at summer camp’)
Minister to kids at summer camp
Contact the Youth Office to let us know how and when you may be available to serve.