Highland Retreat is a non-profit, year-round Christian retreat center and summer youth camp located in the mountains of northwestern Virginia on the edge of the Shenandoah Valley. The 167 acres of mostly forested land is close to the George Washington National Forest and offers scenic vistas as well as a wide variety of wildlife in its hills, streams, pond and fields.
What is Highland’s mission?
Highland Retreat offers a mountain setting where people meet Jesus Christ, explore nature and build relationships.
Relationships – We value the building of relationships with Jesus Christ and others marked by love, respect, integrity, and fun.
Nature – We value the beautiful outdoor world God created, offering opportunities for enjoyment, education, and recreation.
Hospitality – We value a welcoming and guest-centered environment which meets people’s needs in appealing indoor and outdoor facilities where they can commune with God and others.
Restoration – We value the experience of renewal, of having a place apart, where individuals, relationships, and nature are restored.
Personal growth – We value opportunities for education and development which encourage learning, leadership, team building, and Christian spiritual growth.
Anabaptist distinctives within the Christian tradition – We value the biblical calling to discipleship, Christian community, peace, and reconciliation.
- We believe that God exists and is pleased with all who draw near by faith. We worship the one holy and loving God who is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit eternally. God has created all things visible and invisible, has brought salvation and new life to humanity through Jesus Christ, and continues to sustain the church and all things until the end of the age.
- We believe in Jesus Christ, the Word of God become flesh. He is the Savior of the world, who has delivered us from the dominion of sin and reconciled us to God by his death on a cross.
- We believe in the Holy Spirit, the eternal Spirit of God, who dwelled in Jesus Christ, who empowers the church, who is the source of our life in Christ, and who is poured out on those who believe as the guarantee of redemption.
- We believe all Scripture (the Bible) is inspired by God through the Holy Spirit for instruction in salvation and training in righteousness.
- We believe that God has created human beings in the divine image. We confess that, beginning with Adam and Eve, humanity has disobeyed God, given way to the tempter, and chosen to sin. Through Jesus Christ, God offers salvation from sin and a new way of life. We receive God’s salvation when we repent and accept Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. The baptism of believers with water is a sign of their cleansing from sin.
- We believe that peace is the will of God. Led by the Holy Spirit, we follow Christ in the way of peace, doing justice and bringing reconciliation. We place our hope in the reign of God and its fulfillment in the day when Christ will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead.
From Confession of Faith in a Mennonite Perspective (Herald Press, 1995). Used with permission.